Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Big Week Ahead and Random Thoughts

“People sometimes sneer at those who run every day, claiming they'll go to any length to live longer. But don't think that's the reason most people run. Most runners run not because they want to live longer, but because they want to live life to the fullest. If you're going to while away the years, it's far better to live them with clear goals and fully alive then in a fog, and I believe running helps you to do that. Exerting yourself to the fullest within your individual limits: that's the essence of running, and a metaphor for life."
~Haruki Murakami


Lots of stuff happening this week!  I will be going off crutches at some point, and therefore be able to begin strengthening exercises on the surgical leg!  I also have a follow up with Dr. Brown at the end of the week, hopefully getting good news on my recovery, as well as possibly planning the second leg.  All the while, I am busy rehabbing, getting readjusted to a "normal" work schedule, and preparing for a trip back to the great midwest to see all the fam.

I find that these milestones, however small, keep me motivated, and satisfied.  I am an impatient and intense person by nature, always on the go...so I knew that this long recovery, mentally, would be my greatest challenge.  I try to break it down into smaller goals and milestones, so that I have something to look forward to with each week ahead.  This keeps me focused on short-term, easily attainable goals, without feeling overwhelmed by the "grand scheme" and distant horizon.  I have even planned to do the same once I finally get the clearance to begin running again sometime early next year.  I am not going to just jump right back to marathon distance training, with the only goal being that distance, but rather, break down my journey back by trying to obtain PRs in each distance as I go along.  As I am building myself back up, I will challenge myself to be faster in 5K's, 10K's, half-marathons, and finally, the full.  I think this will benefit me two-fold, by allowing me to focus on short-term goals, and to hold me back and not go too far/hard to early without a significant base built up.

Thinking forward also has me thinking back, and although I have covered my decision at length previously here, I feel it is worth mentioning again.  As my wife and I sat around relaxing last night, she asked me how I felt about everything.  I took a deep breath, and my answer was at peace.  I truly feel, that I did not only make the best decision I could have, but the ONLY decision I could have.  It almost surprises even me, how confident I am that this will all work out just the way I hope.  I have no doubts, no fears, no regrets...and I really think having that frame of mind...one that this WAS the ONLY choice, has made everything else so easy to accept and take on. 

I see many other "hippies" grappling with the decision to go on with the surgery, or to maintain focus, or see the light at the end.  It was and is my hope, that with writing about my experiences, that others will perhaps find clarity, or motivation or inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment